When left unchecked, mold growth can become a serious problem — both in terms of health and the structural integrity of your home. And while there are plenty of reasons to take it seriously, there are also lots of myths and misconceptions about mold. (See the Family Handyman article 5 Mold Myths You Can Stop Panicking About.)
Here are just a few for you to consider as you consider your approach.
Myth 1: You should test for mold regularly.
Testing for mold can give you some interesting information about types and quantities, but at the end of the day, ALL mold needs to be removed when it reaches a level visible to the naked eye. Save yourself some money and skip the testing if you suspect you have a budding mold problem on your hands.
Myth 2: If it’s black, you’re in danger.
While it’s true that the species commonly referred to as black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) can cause serious health issues, it’s a little misleading to judge a mold by is color. Even Stachybotrys can range in color from black to dark green — not to mention all the other species of mold that can appear black in color. Better safe than sorry either way. Always approach the clean-up process with a respirator and rubber gloves to prevent inhalation, ingestion, and contact with the skin. (See the HGTV article Black Mold Symptoms and Health Effects.)
Myth 3: It’s only a problem if you can smell it.
Simply put, you should not rely on smell alone to diagnose a mold problem. Some species don’t smell as much as others, and others still can cause problems well before you can detect them. Mold can flourish quietly inside your walls or under your house for years, feasting on your insulation, drywall, and subflooring. If you don’t smell anything, investigate anyway. Places where moisture builds up require regular checks and maintenance.
Myth 4: Mold-killing products are the only thing you need, and bleach is best of all.
Chemical products will absolutely kill mold. But unless you deal with your home’s underlying moisture issues, your victory will be short-lived. Bleach can be an effective killer too, but it’s not great for actually removing signs of mold damage. It’s also hard on your lungs and can make a room smell noxious for days on end. Porous surfaces will have to be replaced either way since most chemicals don’t penetrate the surface. Soap and water is often your best bet for the safe removal of mold.
East Coast Mold Remediation
For all of your mold removal needs, East Coast Mold is the professional remediation team to beat. Our professional services will give you peace of mind knowing that your home is a safe and pleasant place to live. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help.